How is Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) a one-time special intervention to provide rural connectivity, by way of the single all-weather road, to the eligible unconnected habitations in the core network? Examine.
- Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) is a one-time special intervention of the Union Government to provide rural connectivity, by way of single all-weather road, to the eligible unconnected habitations in the core network.
- Under PMGSY, all eligible unconnected habitations with more than 500 population in plain areas, 250+ population in Special Category States( Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Uttarakhand), the Desert Areas (as identified in the District Development Programme), the Tribal (Schedule V) areas and Selected Tribal and Backward districts as identified by the Ministry of Home Affairs/NITI Aayog as per 2001 census are to be connected by all weather road.
- For critical Left Wing Extremism (LWE) affected blocks in nine States of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal (as identified by MHA), additional relaxation has been given to connect habitations with population of 100 persons and above.
- Under PMGSY, roads are being constructed, maintained and repaired as per the specification laid down in Ministry of Rural Development Specifications for Rural Roads.
WHAT IS THE ROLE OF STATE GOVT IN THIS?
- As per the programme guidelines, Maintenance of rural roads constructed under Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) is the responsibility of the State Government.
- The State Governments are required to undertake the maintenance of the entire Core Network, particularly the road works constructed/upgraded under the PMGSY.
- All road works constructed under PMGSY are covered by initial five-year maintenance contracts to be entered into along with the construction contract, with the same contractor, as per the Standard Bidding Document.
- State Governments are required to develop sustainable sources of funding for undertaking maintenance functions. The Ministry of Rural Development has extended support to the States in the maintenance.