How has Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Pariyojana’ enabled the availability of quality generic medicines to people of the country at a much cheaper rate viz-a-viz the prevalent market rate of branded medicines. Describe.
- PMBJP was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India with an objective of making available quality generic medicines at affordable prices to all.
- Under this scheme, unbranded generic medicines of good quality are made available through outlets called PMBJP Kendras.
- In order to ensure quality of medicines sold through PMBJP Kendras, the medicines are procured only from WHO-GMP certified manufacturers, the Minister stated.
- The product basket of the scheme covers more than 800 medicines and 154 surgicals & consumables covering all 23 major therapeutic groups such as Anti-infectives, Anti-diabetics, Cardiovasculars, Anti-cancers, Gastro-intestinal medicines, etc.
- The Maximum Retail Price (MRP) of medicine sold through PMBJP outlets is fixed in such a way that it is at least 50% below the average MRP of corresponding top three brands of that medicine.
- MRP is fixed at such a low rate that it is 90% below the MRP of corresponding branded medicines.
- Thus, quality generic medicines are made available to people of the country at a much cheaper rate viz-a-viz the prevalent market rate of branded medicines.