- The Bhitarkanika National Park is located in Odisha’s Kendrapara district which shares borders with famous Gahirmatha Beach and is surrounded by the Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The Bhitarkanika group of islands offer great beaches and exciting trails through the dense forests teeming with thrilling boat rides.
- Therefore, the park attracts tourists from all over the world.
- Spread over an area of 672 square kilometers, the National Park consists of the Brahmani, Baitrani Delta, backwaters, estuaries, and creeks.
- This National park in Odisha boasts of the world’s second largest mangrove ecosystem.
- It is considered as one of the most impressive national parks in India.
- The park is home to more than 215 species of birds and is inhabited by the Giant salt-water Crocodiles and various other species like Water Monitor Lizard, King Cobra, and Indian Python.
World’s Largest White Crocodiles
- In the year 1975, there were only 90 Crocodiles in this area.
- Now their count is 1,742.
- As hunting was strictly banned the number of deers also increased to about 5,000.
- This place has a distinction of housing 23 feet long crocodile.
- It also holds the Guinness World Record of owning a skeleton of 19.8 feet long estuarine crocodile.
- A museum and Hatchery has been developed at Dangmal to attract tourists.
- Widely recognized for its rich biological diversity, the Bhitarkanika National Park boasts of great flora and fauna.
- It is home to a varied range of flora like Casuarinas, Sundari, Palas, Thespia, Zizphus, Teak, Bamboo, Babul, Salaia, Indigo bush, etc.
- Birds- Kingfisher, Sea Gull, Woodpecker, Brahminy Ducks, Wader, White Bellied Sea Eagle, Hornbill, etc.
- Reptiles- Water Monitor Lizard, Yellow Monitor Lizard, Indian Monitor Lizard, Indian chameleon, Indian Python, Green Viper, Estuarine sea snakes, Sand Skink, Branded Kraits, Saltwater Crocodile, etc.
- Mammals- Indian wild boars, Chital, Small Indian civet, Common Mongoose, Fishing Cats, Leopard Cat, Indian porcupine, Hyena, Jungle cat, Rhesus monkeys, etc.
- Fishes- Mudskippers, Bhetki, Kantia, Acer fish, Pufferfish, Glassfish, etc.
Popular Tourist Places In and Around Bhitarkanika
- Simlipal National Park
- Garhimata Beach/ National Park
- Shooting Tower
- Silted Lotus Pond
- Meadow Tower