Better road rail and air connectivity are being provided to the North East, with the overall vision of “Transformation through Transportation.” Discuss from the perspective of Manipur’s growth story.
- He inaugurated the Integrated Check Post at Moreh.
- He also inaugurated the Dolaithabi Barrage Project, the FCI Food Storage Godown at Sawombung, and projects related to water supply and tourism.
- He dedicated to the nation the 400 kV Double Circuit Silchar-Imphal Line.
WHAT ARE THE HISTORIC ANGLES?
- Prime Minister paid homage to the brave freedom fighters, especially the women freedom fighters of Manipur.
- He recalled that undivided India’s first interim government had been established at Moirang in Manipur.
- He also recalled the support that the Azad Hind Fauj had received from people in the North East.
- He said Manipur has an important role to play in New India’s growth story.
THE OTHER PART OF THE STORY
- Dolaithabi Barrage project had been conceived in 1987, but was speeded up only after 2014, and is now complete.
- Elaborating on the more energetic and purposeful approach to project completion in the Union Government, the Prime Minister explained how the PRAGATI system set up in the Prime Minister’s Office enables monitoring of stalled projects through video conferencing.
- PRAGATI meetings have so far resolved issues related to stalled projects worth nearly 12 lakh crore rupees.
- He praised the “Go to hills, go to villages” programme of the State Government.
- The Prime Minister explained how better road rail and air connectivity is being provided to the North East, with the overall vision of “Transformation through Transportation.”
- The Prime Minister mentioned the progress made by Manipur in other sectors such as Swachh Bharat, sanitation, and development of the aspirational district of Chandel.
- Manipur has also been a front-runner in the field of women empowerment.
- Mentioning the sporting icon Marykom, who hails from Manipur, the Prime Minister said that the North-East has a key role to play in making India a sports superpower.