The Agri export policy has been formulated and it is comprehensive involving all related sectors like R&D, clusters, logistics and transportation. What are the envisioned objectives?
- This is the first time that an Agri export policy has been formulated and it is comprehensive involving all related sectors like R&D, clusters, logistics, and transportation.
- The objectives of the policy are to double agricultural exports from present USD 30 billion to USD 60 billion by 2022 and reach USD 100 billion in the next few years
- To diversify export basket, destinations and boost high value and value added agricultural exports including focus on perishables
- To promote novel, indigenous, organic, ethnic and non-traditional agri products, institutional mechanism for pursuing market access, tackling barriers/SPS, to strive to double India’s share in world agri exports
- Enable farmers to get benefit of export opportunities in overseas markets.
- The vision of the policy is to harness the export potential of Indian agriculture, through suitable policy instruments and make India a global power in agriculture and double farmers income by 2022.
- Agriculture is the key pillar of the Indian economy and there is an urgent need for reform in this sector where 60 % of the population of the country is dependent.
- Diversification of the agri export basket and diversification of markets where exports can take place is the need of the hour.
- The average cost of production will have to be reduced so that India’s agri produce can compete in the international market.