What are some of the Government programmes that aim at bringing about an overall improvement in the quality of life of the rural people and bridging the urban rural gap? Discuss.
- The Government is implementing several programmes that aim at bringing about overall improvement in the quality of life of the rural people and bridging the urban rural gap through: creation of employment opportunities; strengthening of livelihood opportunities; creation of rural infrastructure; provision of other basic amenities; etc.
- These programmes include: Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act for wage employment
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission for livelihoods promotion through self-employment
- Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana for rural housing
- National Rurban Mission to stimulate local economic development, enhance basic services, and create well planned Rurban clusters
- Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme to generate self-employment opportunities through establishment of micro-enterprises in the non-farm sector by helping traditional artisans and unemployed youth
- National Social Assistance Programme for enhancing the incomes of rural poor and Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana for rural roads.
- The focus of the Government on agricultural sector with programmes for irrigation, insurance, soil health, market, credit and farm infrastructure together with its announced policy on Minimum Support Price is also likely to boost farm and rural incomes.